From: Rick Rozoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://www.timesofindia.com/today/07euro1.htm

The Times of India
March 7, 2001

"CIA worked in tandem with Pak to create Taliban"

LONDON [IANS]: The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
worked in tandem with Pakistan to create the "monster"
that is today Afghanistan's ruling Taliban, a leading
US expert on South Asia said here.

"I warned them that we were creating a monster," Selig
Harrison from the Woodrow Wilson International Centre
for Scholars said at the conference here last week on
"Terrorism and Regional Security: Managing the
Challenges in Asia."

Harrison said: "The CIA made a historic mistake in
encouraging Islamic groups from all over the world to
come to Afghanistan." The US provided $3 billion for
building up these Islamic groups, and it accepted
Pakistan's demand that they should decide how this
money should be spent, Harrison said.

Harrison, who spoke before the Taliban assault on the
Buddha statues was launched, told the gathering of
security experts that he had meetings with CIA leaders
at the time when Islamic forces were being
strengthened in Afghanistan. "They told me these
people were fanatical, and the more fierce they were
the more fiercely they would fight the Soviets," he
said. "I warned them that we were creating a monster."

Harrison, who has written five books on Asian affairs
and US relations with Asia, has had extensive contact
with the CIA and political leaders in South Asia.
Harrison was a senior associate of the Carnegie
Endowment for International Peace between 1974 and
1996.

Harrison who is now senior fellow with The Century
Foundation recalled a conversation he had with the
late Gen Zia-ul Haq of Pakistan. "Gen Zia spoke to me
about expanding Pakistan's sphere of influence to
control Afghanistan, then Uzbekistan and Tajikstan and
then Iran and Turkey," Harrison said. That design
continues, he said. Gen.Mohammed Aziz who was involved
in that Zia plan has been elevated now to a key
position by Chief Executive, Gen. Pervez Musharraf,
Harrison said.

The old associations between the intelligence agencies
continue, Harrison said. "The CIA still has close
links with the ISI (Pakistan's Inter-Services
Intelligence)."

Today that money and those weapons have helped build
up the Taliban, Harrison said. "The Taliban are not
just recruits from 'madrassas' (Muslim theological
schools) but are on the payroll of the ISI (Inter
Services Intelligence, the intelligence wing of the
Pakistani government)." The Taliban are now "making a
living out of terrorism."

Harrison said the UN Security Council resolution
number 1333 calls for an embargo on arms to the
Taliban. "But it is a resolution without teeth because
it does not provide sanctions for non-compliance," he
said. "The US is not backing the Russians who want to
give more teeth to the resolution."

Now it is Pakistan that "holds the key to the future
of Afghanistan," Harrison said. The creation of the
Taliban was central to Pakistan's "pan-Islamic
vision," Harrison said.

It came after "the CIA made the historic mistake of
encouraging Islamic groups from all over the world to
come to Afghanistan," he said. The creation of the
Taliban had been "actively encouraged by the ISI and
the CIA," he said. "Pakistan has been building up
Afghan collaborators who will sustain Pakistan," he
said. (IANS)

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66
00841 Helsinki