.
[Via Communist Internet... http://www.egroups.com/group/Communist-Internet ]
----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Rozoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 4:12 PM
Subject: 'Asian NATO' Ponders War With China [WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK]

Visit our website: HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

[Along with Japan, Thailand, Singapore, the
Philippines and South Korea: NATO East. The following
is not an academic diversion.]

Friday August 17, 5:41 PM
Australians expected to join defence of Taiwan: US
official
SYDNEY, Aug 17 (AFP) -
The United States expected Australian troops to die
alongside American servicemen in any future conflict
with China over Taiwan, a senior US State Department
official said Friday.
US deputy secretary of state Richard Armitage said
Australia was obliged to commit troops to any military
conflict in the Taiwan Strait.
Armitage also threatened that Australia with a
backlash from Washington if it failed to lend support
to the US in any future Asian conflict.
"I am not sure all of our friends here in Australia
understand the significance of the alliance to
Americans," Armitage told reporters.
"It is not a matter of political convenience or of
economic interaction ... for us an alliance is an
obligation, if necessary, to fight and die for each
other.
"We are talking on the US side (of) our sons and
daughters fighting and dying if Australia comes under
attack and, by the way, we are talking about
Australian sons and daughters who would be willing to
sacrifice their lives to help defend the United
States.
"That is what an alliance means and when you think
about it in those terms ... you realise this is a very
special and indeed potent confidence building
measure."
Armitage, visiting Australia just weeks after the
departure of US Secretary of State Colin Powell, also
issued a blunt warning to Canberra, saying it was in
Australia's interests to join the US in defending
Taiwan in the event of a Chinese invasion.
Beijing was stung during Powell's visit here late last
month by suggestions Washington was sponsoring closer
security ties between itself, Australia, Japan and
South Korea as a means of containing China's sphere of
influence in the region.
When quizzed about tensions between Washington and
Beijing over Taiwan, which China regards as a renegade
province, Armitage said any US defence of the island
would be in Australia's interests.
"I think the overwhelming view in the United States
is, it is hard to imagine a military action of any
sort here by the United States which wouldn't in large
measure also be in Australia's interest," he said.
"If that is the case then ... I can't imagine one of
the great events of our time taking place without
Australian participation at some level.
"If the Australian government made a decision, in the
terrible event the United States was involved in a
conflict, that it was not in their interest to
participate in some level then we would have to take a
look at where we are after the dust has settled."

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/