From: "Magnus Bernhardsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: [Peoples War] PKK: Repression on captives

http://www.kurdishobserver.com/2002/01/09/hab01.html

Repression on captives

PKK captives in prisons all around Turkey, stating that repression their
national, political and cultural identity had recently increased, called on
the public to be sensitive.

Detainees and convicts from PKK cases drew attention that repression on
their national, political and cultural identity had recently increased,
asking for sensitivity and attempt. A common statement by all PKK detainees
and convicts in prisons in Kurdistan and Turkey stressed that
anti-democratic and arbitrary treatment had been continuing especially
after December 19 massacre in prisons. The statement noted that in spite of
death fast actions where more than 80 captives had lost their lives, there
were no improvement in the prison conditions. The PKK captives continued to
say the following: "They assault on the most natural and legitimate demands
of our people for identity, language and culture. Recently a systematic
repression on our national, political and cultural identity has increased."

Repressions one right after the other

The statement listed unlawful acts by prison administrations ordered by
Justice Ministry as follows:

- As a statement of aggressiveness against the Kurdish culture, language
and music, our Kurdish music bands and tapes are confiscated and legal
publications in Kurdish are prevented from entering into prisons.

- The state, constructing new prisons costed millions of dollars in spite
of the economic crisis, have not allocated any budget for our health
problems. There are no doctors in a number of prisons. Our friends who have
chronic illnesses are not treated. Our comrades Yahya Perisan and Sefik
Akkol have recently lost their lives due to lack of treatment.

- The February circular forces the captives to pay for their electricity
and water consumption.

- Repression on defence lawyers and visitors is on rise. Visiting time are
limited, our relatives are searched from head and toe and harassed, they
are threatened and in some cases detained. The circular gives the
opportunity to obstruct the meetings of lawyers with their clients and to
confiscate documents related with cases.

The statement concluded with words to the effect: "We call on our people,
democratic organisations and international human rights defenders to be
sensitive against provocative, arbitrary and unlawful acts in prisons, and
take action."

He is not treated

Cuma Orhan, 52-year-old prisoner from PKK case in Ceyhan Prison who has
cancer, is not treated on the grounds that he is not "on the threshold of
death". Attempts of his family in Mersin proved to be fruitless. Applying
to the President of the Republic for release of his husband, Serife Orhan
was answered "Your husband's condition was discussed according to the
article 104 of the Constitution. He should apply to the Public Prosecutor's
Office." Then Serife Orhan applied to Ceyhan Public Prosecutor. Upon the
application Cuma Orhan was moved to Adana Numune Hospital but was turned
down on the grounds that he was not "on the threshold of death". Wife Orhan
reacted saying that "Will he be released after he dies? He cannot stand up.
His lower body is paralysed. Is a person who is in deathbed treated?"

Sefika Orhan applied to the Presidency and Justice Ministry again.

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66
00841 Helsinki
Phone +358-40-7177941