On Fri, December 15, 2006 10:59 pm, Robert Donovan wrote:

> I am not at all surprised that
> U.S.
>> companies have trouble keeping highly skilled third-world employees. It
>> seems that many large corporations have the idea that people in third
>> world
>> countries ARE interested in the company vision beyond the extent it
>> results
>> in getting paid more. To proceed as most U.S. corporations have with
>> outsourcing to low-wage countries assumes either that people in the
>> third
>> world won't seek the highest possible wage for their work just like
>> anyone
>> else. A U.S. business may pay these folks three times the going wage
>> in-country, but those Pakistani and Indian programmers can certainly
>> figure
>> out that their current employer's competition may just be willing to pay
>> them more if they have expeience, skills, or figure out a way to do
>> something better. So they employ the obvious strategy of getting hired
>> at
>> the lower wage jobs, get experience, and take that experience to get a
>> better job. I'm betting that foreign companies in these places have an
>> even
>> harder time enforcing non-disclosure/non-compete agreements that we do
>> in
>> the U.S.

Ya know what, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that there is a
degree of unconcious racism in their uninformed expectations. You know,
the plan as they discuss the opportunity in the boardroom in New York,
"those wogs will be thrilled to have any job at all and won't go anywhere.
Oh, and rupees aren't real money anyway."

Remember, the upper managers don't even work with these guys when they
import 'em to undercut our salary expectations. Nobody imports
vice-presidents from Bangalore (maybe they should -- they'd get higher
quality ;). We're the ones who work with these guys and develop respect,
often friendship.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer

--
KPLUG-List@kernel-panic.org