Chris Grau([EMAIL PROTECTED])@Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 08:35:17AM
-0700:

<snip>

> Aside from that, I found the most interesting bit of the article
to be

> the incidental discussion of gNewSense[0].
>

>     On investigating gNewSense further, I see that it's a
completely new

>     Linux distribution, because popular distributions like Ubuntu
and

>     Fedora are happy to include proprietary software.

<snip>

> ... according to the gNewSense wiki[2],
>

>     gNewSense is a GNU/Linux project that aims to remove all the
>

>     non-free software from Ubuntu and Debian to make a 100% Free
>

>     Software distribution.
>

> So what's to stop people from adding proprietary Debian or Ubuntu
>

> packages?  Okay, obviously that completely misses the point.
Anyone who

> went to the trouble to install and use gNewSense is not likely to
have

> any desire to use proprietary software in the first place.

I've seen a package in the Debian repository called "vrms". It's a

"Virtual Richard M. Stallman" which whines at you if/when you

install anything that RMS would not approve of.  If excluding

non-free software is the only differentiating characteristic,  I

don't see where gNewSense would be worthy of the effort to

reinstall.  It makes less sense considering how easy it is to add

unofficial repositories to apt's sources.list file.

> [0] http://www.gnewsense.org/static/homepage/
>

> [2] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/

Wade Curry

syntaxman