Polycarbonate has some really good characteristics and some really bad
ones.  It can take a whole lot of energy and not fail...but it can also
break just under static stress when it comes in contact with certain
chemicals.  The really bad thing is when it fails, it fails almost
explosively.  Really good for motorcycle helmets as long as you throw it
away after the first crash.

https://sites.google.com/site/mykr2stretch/