I've got to agree with Larry and others on this. ?I have built and licensed 3
planes over the last 16 years. ?In each case, I set the gross weight and it was
a function of structural design and flight testing to that weight with me being
the final authority on what that number was. ?But you do have to demonstrate
that the aircraft has been weighed and that it meets W&B standards for any
with 4 spreadsheets printed out with empty weight, wost case forward CG

The only input the DAR has on the gross weight is that it meets the CG
requirements. ?In fact, it is not a requirement to submit a gross weight to be
issued an airworthiness certificate. ?You only have to demonstrate that the
plane is within CG and that you know how to do a proper W&B calculation for it.
?The actual gross weight can be determined later during flight testing.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM