> I have always wondered why lycoming and continental have steadfastly stuck
> to ancient carb (and fuel injection) tech.

Because they work. ?The CV carbs used on the Rotax engines require a lot more
maintenance than either the RSA fuel injection or MS carbs found on a
Continental or Lycoming. ?Also, while Bing claims to be self adjusting for
altitude (I believe the actual wording is Altitude Compensating)... Well, they
kind of do that, but try taking a Bing from sea level to 13,000' or higher. ?It
works, but not particularly well. ?RSA fuel injection and MS carbs give you
fine control over your mixture and will run properly up to any altitude that
your engine can make enough power to hold you aloft. ?But you can bet that with
either the MS carb or RSA injection you are getting the best performance at
altitude your engine can provide. ?A CV type carb doesn't do that. ?The fuel
distribution is less than optimal from the MS carbs (as well as the Bing carbs)
or any other carburetor but the RSA fuel injection addresses fuel distribution
to the cylinders, and can even be tuned to compensate for uneven intake
velocities.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM