I have seen this pin on the distributor gear shear once in aircraft
application.  It was on an E-racer that had an aluminum oldsmobile or buick  in
it
for power.  Shortly after take off it quit in Dubuque, IA and the  landing
was bad enough to destroy the airplane, but the pilot was ok.  This
happened nearly 20 years ago.

Kevin Golden
Streak Shadow

In a message dated 6/23/2013 10:35:13 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
ml at n56ml.com writes:

Jeff  Lange wrote:

> What is the max acceptable oil pressure for a Corvair  engine?
> What is considered the max continuous oil temp (we are using  the
> recommend Rotella oil)?

As you already know, adjusting that  oil pressure relief spring only
changes
the upper limit of where the oil  system dumps excess oil pressure back to
the sump, so max pressure is  raised, but the lower pressures reached once
the oil is warmed up are  still low.  The usual answer of course is loose
bearing clearances  and that kind of thing.  As you also know, the general
rule is 10 psi  per thousand RPM, so you are right at that limit.  Having
said that,  I've flown with less, but only long enough to put a higher
volume
oil pump  in it.  Clark's makes at least two different versions in them and

I've flown both with good results.  They'll bring up pressures  throughout
the range, although more pressure will be dumped during cold  operation.

The "power robbing" point is the main downside of a high  volume pump, but
another downside with the Corvair is that the oil pump is  run by the
distributor drive gear on the bottom of the distributor.   That gear has a
slot in the bottom that turns the pump, and the gear is  pinned onto the
distributor drive shaft by a pin.  That pin,  subjected to enough shear,
can
shear in two, leaving neither pump nor  distributor turning.    I've heard
of
this happening, but don't  know anybody personally that it's happened to.
It's relatively rare, and  may involve extenuating circumstances.  If I'm
not
mistaken, William  Wynne replaces this pin with something stouter, so this
is
an option, and  maybe has already been done to yours.  It's insurance
against
a  problem that is made more likely by use of a high volume pump.  Having
said that, all of my engines have used a high volume pump except for a
2700cc experiment that I ran for a short while.  Since I have a  remote
cooler and filter, I feel the need for a high volume pump, and will  never
go
back.  It does make a difference.

To answer your  question, most folks I know consider 55 psi to be just
about
perfect, and  certainly not too high.  On a super cold day with no preheat,
it'll  climb above that as the bypass valve is overpowered.  If it gets
over
about 85 psi, I'll make sure my oil filter isn't puking oil before I take
off, by doing a few donuts before takeoff.    It  happens!

220F wouldn't bother me, but the 29 psi at 2950 RPM is getting  there.  A
high volume pump will certainly improve that.

By the  way, I never saw your CorvAircraft post either, so you may want to
repost  it there.  You may have the old address.  The new one is given at
the
top of http://www.corvaircraft.org/ .

Mark Langford
ML at  N56ML.com