I used Acrylic Latex exterior house paint.  Lowe's sells it for $26/gal.  I
sprayed with a conventional qt. cup gun also from Lowe's using my 1/3 hp air
compressor with inline pressure regulator set for 30 psi and an oil
separator.  I used 3 coats primer and 3 coats top coat semi-gloss.  Light
hand wet sanding between each primer coat with 400 grit; each top coat wet
hand sanded with 600 grit.  Sprayed two coats gloss, no sanding.  Gloss goes
on like water, so have to drop the air pressure to 10 psi and move the gun
fast or it will run.  Perhaps should have used a smaller jet for the gun for
the gloss coats.  For the top color coats I had Lowe's tint the white paint
with more white pigment; that makes the paint noticeably even whiter.  Flag
bunting trim is vinyl stick-on decals made by a local sign shop.  The
fuselage decals are 10 feet long.  Costs were $142 for paint and related
supplies and $168 for the vinyl decals.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Robert
What manufacturers  water based paint and primer are you using?  Satin or
gloss?? Will there be a top coat of clear, also water born? Are you using
HVLP spray equipment?
Patrick

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to have my KR for this years gathering, but it's not in in the
great scheme of things. I am making good progress. It took me some time to
warm up to waterborne paint but after using the primer I'm convinced that
it's a great product, and it doesn't have all the nasty smells.
See you at the gathering!

http://s449.photobucket.com/user/rkpsk1/library/

Robert Pesak

Hermitage, Tn.