I'm working on I lancair 360 that has water-based paint on the underside. This
is the second Lancair that decided to land with the gear up.  The problem I see
with the water-based paint is the preped surface was too smooth.  I would start
the first Coat with nothing more that 220 grit.  With the final coat nothing
more than 400 grit.  This planes prep surface was so smooth I was able to pull
off big sheets of paint.

Lee Van Dyke