This really goes back to his pre-purchase inspection. ?Let's see, crummy green
foam in the wings and significant delaminations starting to show. ?Maybe we
should look a bit deeper? ?Maybe at least remove the wing attach covers and
look at the fittings, although it's likely the fittings were painted, so the
color wouldn't be obvious. ?If the plane is crappy on the outside, it often
times follows that things aren't that great on the inside either. ?
Thanks for relating that story Larry. ?

The sad part is that the builder likely didn't recognize that the Aluminum WAFS
replacing 4130 WAFS might not be sufficient. ?It would seem obvious to those of
us that have been working around airplanes for a few decades, but to the
neophite that is building in a vacuum, it might not. ?This is one of the
reasons why it is important to get multiple sets of knowlegeable eyes on your
project and involve an EAA Tech Counselor in your build. ?

FWIW, after I bought my Wag Aero/ SuperCub project from an estate, I spent a
lot of time looking over a lot of strange, non-standard things that had been
done to the plane. ?I found that most were a redesign of certain portions of
the plane that were done either for financial savings or to improve strength as
the plane was slated to be upgraded to a SuperCub. ?However, I didn't catch
everything. ?The first time I pulled in the flaps in the air, I got a loud
bang, the overhead flap handle snapped down, and the flaps retracted. ?When I
got on the ground, I found that the clevis fork that attaches to the flap
handle (which is the highest strained part in the flap system) had been made
from a piece of soft aluminum tube, with internal threads at one end to attach
to the cable and the tube cut out to make the ears of the clevis fork at the
other end. ?The first time I pulled on it, the ears ripped out. ?Wow! ?Major
mistake on the part of the builder. ?An even more major mistake on my part for
not catching it. ?The thing I did right was to test the flaps the first time at
altitude.

I spent this weekend at the CopperState Fly In. ?Most of the comments I got
were, "Wow, that's not like any KR I've ever seen!" ?It's hard to get away from
the plane to go look at the other planes during the Fly In as there is always a
crowd around it. ?For those of you building, that is a very satisfying feeling
you can look forward to. ?But I also get to hear lots of KR horror stories.
?Unfortunately, that is the reputation of the KRs in the pilot community.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM