I have done both. ?

The original configuration of my KR had the trim servo mounted in the
horizontal stab with a short nyrod through the center of the stab spar and the
elevator spar to actuate the trim tab. ?I flew with it that way for 500 hrs and
the trim worked just fine.

When I cut that tail off and built the larger tail with the airfoil templates
from Mark's web site, I first tried a spring biasing trim. ?That was
unsuccessful as he control pressures changed with changes in speed, so the trim
was never right. ?In 2013 I removed the spring trim and built the trim servo
into the elevator with a tab. ?That works very nicely.

Niether of the tails on my KR were mass balanced, and all three configurations
have been tested well in excess of the 195 mph VNE.

Photos can be found on my web site at <http://jeffsplanes.com>

Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM