Subject: KR> Pressure testing my wing tanks
From: "Pierre" <pierre at drafts.co.za>
Date: Thu, January 30, 2014 12:41 am
To: <krnet at list.krnet.org>

So here I am, finished my wing tanks and very proud of the welding work.
Somebody mentioned that I should pressure test the tank to ensure it is
leak
free. I usually take good advice to heart, so I hooked up the
compressor,
blocked off all the inlet, breather and other openings, prepared the
little
water spray can and started the compressor. Slowly I start pressing the
lever on the gun and start spraying the seams with water to see if I
detect
any bubbles. Finally I found a corner with a fine mist. I couldn't see
exactly where this offending pinhole is and I increased the pressure a
bit
whilst spraying some more water on the offending seam. After about 3-4
minutes of this adding pressure then spraying water and closely watching
for
the mist, I heard a "clunk" sound. Ignoring the sound (I am not stupid I
know the tank will move a bit with pressure inside) I concentrate on
this
point on the seam and another two "clunks" further I finally pinpoint
the
pinhole.

Just then my wife enters the garage with a glass of Coke. Me, very proud
of
myself accepts the Coke and then I told commenced in telling her about
my
detective prowess and ingenuity and that I just discovered a tiny
pinhole
that could become a serious leak and I just averted a serious disaster.
She
took one look behind me and said "no wonder it leaks." I turned around
and
saw these two inter connected aluminum orbs that could be mistaken for
beach
balls!

There must have been some 100 different facial expressions passing over
my
face in the next nanosecond and as I looked back at my dear wife it is
clear
that she is all choked up with sympathy, grabbing her mouth and clearly
overwhelmed with emotion and my disappointment she turned and ran into
the
house.

Suffice to say I packed up, washed and plonked in front of the TV. Air
Crash
investigation was on. My wife and I didn't speak much, as she seems to
choke
up every time she wants to say something. I am very blessed to have such
an
understanding wife. I was in no mood to say anything.... 20 odd hours of
labor gone.... I also harbor serious thoughts about the guy's advice....

Cheers,

Pierre