On 01/31/2014 02:21 AM, Mike T wrote:
> These two designs aren't as far
> apart as they seem, because a KR-2 can also be LSA compliant.  It already
> makes the LSA stall speed if you keep it light, and I could use a smaller
> VW engine (or just adjust the throttle so the carb doesn't open all the
> way) to get it down to the LSA top speed someday.  I think the LSA law
> would le me fly the plane fast for now, then slow it down to make it LSA
> compliant if I ever get sick of getting medicals.

Just a clarification, but the LSA rules will not let you fly it fast now
and then slow it down to LSA specs.  The rules say that the aircraft
must ALWAYS have met LSA specs in order for a Sport Pilot to fly the
aircraft, or a private pilot not requiring a medical.

You also would not need to put a throttle stop on the carb, or use a
smaller VW engine.  The LSA rules say that it can't exceed 120 kts "with
maximum CONTINUOUS power".  As the aircraft manufacturer, you can define
the maximum speed allowed, and you can label the panel with the max RPM
in level flight, which may be lower than the max RPM that the engine is
capable of.  This allows you to use full power for takeoff and climb,
and only have to throttle back once you are at your cruising altitude.
There are existing aircraft that do this, including the infamous Carbon
Cub with its 180 hp engine:

http://www.cubcrafters.com/carboncubss

Note at the bottom of that page:

"180 Horsepower for takeoff and climb up to 5 minutes - 80 Horsepower
for continuous operation. It is the pilots responsibility to operate the
aircraft in accordance with the pilot operating handbook and aircraft
placarding. There is NO governor or limiting system that controls the
engines power settings"

Here is an overview of the LSA regs if you are curious:

http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/final_rule_synopsis.html

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - VP EAA Chapter 87