So what you mean is that I can buy a Google Nexus 7 and the GPS aviation
software will work without having to make monthly payments to a cell phone
carrier?

  Going slightly off topic, what other features will also work without a
phone service and can you add one later? I'd like to buy a tablet without
signing up with Verizon, t mobile, etc., but I'm afraid I may want some
feature eventually that requires a phone contract, and then it'll be too
late to get one because I didn't do it when I bought the tablet.

Mike Taglieri

On Mar 11, 2014 12:22 AM, "Tony King" <tking58 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Watch out for iPads too.  The WiFi only models don't have a GPS chipset -
> only the cellular models support GPS.  The GPS will work without a SIM
> card, so the tablet doesn't have to be on a carrier plan, but the GPS
> chipset has to be there.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tony
>
> On 11 March 2014 14:16, Michael Lineback <miclineback at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Location Services is just Cell tower location it is not GPS.    If you
want
> > GPS on a tablet you have to find one with an internal GPS receiver or
get
> > an external GPS receiver that connects bluetooth with your tablet.
Ipad
> > and some Android tablets have aGPS or assisted GPS which means that they
> > have an internal antenna for GPS but use cell tower information to get a
> > first fix so they don't spend so much time getting a fix from a good
> > signal.
> >
> > Everything I can find on the tablet you mention says NOTHING about an
> > internal GPS antenna.      If you relay want GPS in the tablet then go
for
> > the Google Nexus, Ipad, Lenovo Yoga or something similar.     Those
> > specifically mention GPS Antenna.    Beyond that if you really want to
keep
> > the tablet you have then you will have to get an external antenna with
> > Bluetooth to connect to the tablet you have.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Michael
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM, Doran Jaffas <kr2owner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > Hi everybody, I'm giving this one last ditch effort for some helpI'm
> > going
> > > to take these tablets back and say the..... With it.
> > >      I have a Google premier 8 inch tablet. I can use Google Maps with
> > this
> > > tablet but when I attempt to use the Avare Aviation moving map it
comes
> > up
> > > no GPS signal. I also tried installing a difference aviation program
and
> > > got the same thing. My location services are on and as I said the
Google
KRnet-leave at list.krnet.org