Yes, the Nexus 7 GPS will work without a mobile data plan.  I have one
that's WiFi only and I use it for in vehicle navigation quite frequently,
although I use an iPad for flying because the EFB app I use
(OzRunways) is iPad only.

The GPS chipset in these devices typically is what's known as "assisted
GPS".  What that means is the GPS uses cell towers or WiFi access points to
get an approximate fix which it uses as a starting point for its
calculations.  This enables it to get an initial position fix more quickly
than if it was only using the GPS satellites.  If it can't see any cell
towers it still can get a fix, it just takes longer for that initial fix
because it has to start from the assumption that it could be anywhere in
the world rather than starting from an assumption that it's within a couple
of miles of a tower whose location is known.  Once it has that initial fix,
as far as I know it doesn't use the cell towers at all.

As far as I can tell from my iPad (a cellular model but with no SIM) a SIM
is not required to use towers for that initial fix, so the cellular models
still benefit from the A-GPS functionality even though they're not on a
plan.
Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Tony