The issue with the PA-22 right tank fuel system was too many up and down
routings of the fuel line from the right tank. ?The fuel came down the right
side of the plane, then back up behind the instrument panel, then down to the
fuel selector on the left kick panel, then back up again to the feed through on
the firewall, then down to the gascolator and back up again to the carb. ?It
was way too easy to get it air locked. ?I oversaw a PA-22 restoration in 2011.
?One of the many STCs we installed was a rerouting of the right fuel line to
pass under the front seat to elminate some of the up and down loops.

I ran into a similar issue on a Taylorcraft last month. ?From the time the
owner bought this plane, it has had an unnervingly intermittent issue with
running out of fuel and shutting down either while warming up, or about the
time he started his take off roll. ?This is a really simple fuel system with a
header tank feeding through a shut off valve through the firewall to a
gascolator, then back up to the carburater. ?What could possibly go wrong in
such a simple system and how could the owner have this going on for the last 8
years without finding a solution? ?When I looked at it, I noticed that it had
modern integral firesleeve fuel lines between the fuel tank and gascolator, and
from the gascolator to the carb. ?Both lines were a bit longer than necessary,
so each made a very gentle up and down loop in the hose routing. ?So, there was
an up and down loop between the tank and the gascolator, and another up and
down loop between the gascolator and the carb. ?That created two air traps, so
if he had his fuel shut off and sumped the gascolator, he would trap air in the
system and create an air lock either between the tank and gascolator, or
between the gascolator and carb. ?Even with a full tank of fuel, the lines
would air lock and stop the fuel flow.

Lesson to learn here is to be very careful about the up and down routing of
your fuel lines. ?Make the gascolator (if you use one) the low spot in the
system, but don't create additional up and down runs expecting gravity to feed
properly. ?It only takes a small bubble of air in the line to stop the flow
even with sufficient head pressure to feed. ?Ram air pressure into the tank is
one way to push the bubble through. ?But be careful to make sure your ram air
is always going to be ram at at all speeds. ?That's a mistake I made on my KR
that created one of the strangest fuel system failure modes I've ever seen and
took me nearly 2 years to isolate and fix.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM