Mine came with holes so I did some research in deciding whether to cover
the holes or not and think I remember that the Navy dive bombers had
holes in their dive brakes or dive flaps not to increase drag but rather
to reduce the effect of the disrupted slipstream over the tail control
surfaces.  Having holes also reduced weight.  That's not to say the holes
didn't increase drag with those Navy planes . . . I just didn't follow
the question all the way to getting a definitive answer.

On mine, I don't remember ever coming to a conclusion as to whether
having holes increased drag or not.  I tried covering them up with
packing tape to see if I could tell any difference.  I couldn't, although
my brake only goes down to 30 degrees or so so the brake affect is not
that noticible anyway.  As Mark has mentioned, using the belly board does
reduce stall speed somewhat so it does generate some lift and I've
noticed that too.  Ineffective as mine is, I always use it.

Flying Jim Morehead's KR with his excellent belly flap, I was really
impressed by how much nicer approaches and landings are with a nice big
drag flap.

Mike
KSEE

What's your flood risk?
Find flood maps, interactive tools, FAQs, and agents in your area.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/547b6b1a308bd6b1a3591st02vuc