HI James,
VERY helpful info. It is interesting that the Hirth boasts fuel injection as a
way to avoid carb icing and says it is the #2 reason for aircraft engine
failure behind fuel starvation. (I believe that may have happened to ken Rand
actually, IIRC)
Anyway I compared the KR to the two lightweights you cited. The SD-1 is
certainly a cool plane and I know your point was to demonstrate weight example.
The SD-1 is not nearly as strong in G-Loading as a KR, and has a much lower
cruise and Vne. (I know a KR has flown well over 200MPH but what IS a KR-1
Vne?).
One VERY interesting thing I noted was that it has a beautiful composite
3-blade ground adjustable prop! That is made by a Czech company called Sandera,
but I cannot find them, will keep looking. I want a 3-blade ground adjustable
prop like that for my KR1!
Meanwhile that Franch Columban (really a lot like a single engine Cri Cri)
lightweight has a composite prop with a "silent" option with fat blades made by
Airplast in France. They have a sheet with props for all kinds of engines
including Jabiru, Rotax, etc, and up to four blades. Of course with four open
VW pipes blaring, no reason to run a "silent" prop.
thanks for the post!
Chris