This is a wood and glass plane, so is practically invisible to RF.  Consider
mounting your transponder antenna internally under the aft deck rather than
having it radiating right under your butt.  I attached a photo that includes my
transponder antenna mounted internally in the fuselage back towards the tail
(upper left of photo).  It's hard to see, but the antenna is mounted to an
aluminum disk used as a ground plane that is roughly the diameter of 2x the
length of the antenna.  I have never had any complaints from ATC about the
transponder, so assume it works reasonably well mounted like this.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM