Diehl main gear legs for conventional and tri-gear configurations are NOT
interchangeable.  For the tri-gear you must use the tri-gear version.  I
have wasted a lot of time and money getting this interchangeable issue
figured out.
The metal castings that mount to the spar are interchangeable.  Most likely
you may be able to use some of the same original holes that were drilled in
the spars.  Those holes that you don't use, should be plugged with wooden
dowel rods epoxied in place.  Plugging the old holes helps restore
structural integrity to the lumber and keeps moisture out.  Coat the new
holes with epoxy to keep out moisture also.  I used pipe cleaners as a
brush.
You can make your own gear legs: Buy the blanks for a Grumman Cheetah from
http://www.fletchair.com/catalog/section32.html  Call them at 800 FA-WINGS
(329-4647).  The blanks are not listed in their catalog.  The blanks are 1"
thick; you will need to plane these down to 3/4" and then cut out the leg.
I paid $34 for a pair plus shipping for mine.  Don't have access to a bench
planner; don't know the leg pattern?  Then buy the legs from NV Aero
http://www.nvaero.com/diehl-main-gear-legs-only/  Read the fine print at the
NV Aero website on interchangeability.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA

>>1.  Can this be done if I have a kit that is nearly complete and has TG
>mains already installed?  If so, how?

Complexity and cost will depend on the type of main gear already
installed.  If it is the Diehl main gear setup then you simply shift
the main gear to the back side of the main spar and add the nose gear
setup.  If it is not the Diehl main gear setup then you may have to
opt for the entire tri gear package.  More info needed.  Converting
to tri gear is absolutely possible without airframe changes, it's
just a matter of complexity and cost.

Larry Flesner