From: Mac McConnell-Wood via KRnet <krnet at list.krnet.org>
To: KRnet <krnet at list.krnet.org>
Cc: Mac McConnell-Wood <mac.xm657 at gmail.com>
Sent: Mon, Aug 31, 2015 6:30 am
Subject: Re: KR> Reaming WAFs

Just to add my 2 cents of limited knowledge - I remember during my time as
an
airforce tech, torqueing a critical bolt so that the Length of the
torqued bolt
was *increased* by a set figure.......what was all that about
?!
Mac

On
Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Robert7721 via KRnet
<krnet at list.krnet.org>
wrote:

> Concur with Mark.  No need to get concerned
about this one folks.  I
> actually did a bad thing and forgot to tighten one,
I found it during
> another maintenance check later. Probably flew with the nut
loose for a
> couple hundred hours but it didn't make any difference.

Rob Schmitt

Langford <ml at n56ml.com>
> Sent: Sun, Aug 30, 2015 6:00 pm
> Subject: Re: KR>
Reaming WAFs

> Nobody's shown me a torque for KR wing attach fittings.
It's not in the

> plans.  Why is that?  Because friction was not even
considered in the

> analysis of the wing attach joint. It was a pure shear
calculation.
> It's
> simply a pinned joint, and safe enough on that basis
alone.

> Although I'm
> certainly not advocating anybody do this, you could
likely
> fly around with
> cottered pins in place of the bolts to keep them
from
> sliding out of place,
> and you'd be fine.  I'm pretty sure there
are
> airplanes and ultralights that
> use simple pinned joints.
>
> Sure,
torquing the bolts to some reasonable number
> is the common-sense
> thing to
do, and as Larry pointed out, people do exactly
> that.
> Calculating optimal
torque for a lubricated fastener and nut is

> commendable, but not
necessary.

> I'm a mechanical engineer, and recognizing
> that it's simply
a pinned
> joint, I just torqued them by feel and got on with
> my
business.
> Sure...considering friction would be nice, but the designer

simply can't
> count on these connections being done perfectly, so he
designs
> them to
> be foolproof, and then add a factor of safety on top of
that.  That's

> what we're dealing with on these WAFs.  After all, this
plane was touted
> as
> being buildable with only simple tools...

Mark

send a message to KRnet-leave at list.krnet.org
at http://www.krnet.org/info.html
> see