My Zenith has a choke.  No need for a primer.  The 2180 VW starts
immediately in any ambient temperature.  There is no drama for hot engine
starts; with the 0-degree advance electronic ignition at zero RPM and with
choke off, starts are immediate.  Max advance on the ignition is 29 degrees.
My 2180 is rated at 76 hp.  The Zenith has an adjustable main jet also used
as a mixture control.  I rigged a VW speedometer cable to adjust the mixture
from the cockpit.  The gland nut on the main jet needle needs to be tight or
the needle shaft will leak.  If the gland nut is tight, the needle shaft
cannot be turned.  I have set the mixture to 13.6 for best power at wide
open throttle on this engine using a panel mount O2 sensor mixture meter and
leave it there.  I am still looking for a better mixture control.  (Best
efficiency for cruise is 14.7)  Looks like I will have to get a different
carb that has a practical mixture control.  That new carb will probably not
have a choke; so, would need a primer system.  Along with that would come
the hot start drama.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA

> From the reading and talking to others it would seem that several carbs
are an option and as such I would ask that anyone who has tested them
give me and the list some feedback as to the experience good or bad with
the following list or any others that have been tested.

Marvel MA3-SPA
Stromberg NAS-3
Ellison EFS-3A
Zenith 268