Remember, YOU don't have to build 51% of the aircraft to register as an amateur
build aircraft.  You just have to demonstrate that 51% was amateur built. With
the fuselage all being 5/8" spruce and plywood that is clearly hand laid and
glued with lots of hand laid glass, I don't think that will be an issue.  BTW,
I did this several years ago when I acquired an Avid Flyer under similar
circumstances.

To get a Repairmans Certificate, you have to demonstrate enough knowledge of
the aircraft to convince the DAR, who will send a letter to the FSDO, that you
know enough about the construction to properly maintain the aircraft.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM