Anyone looking for a good handheld radio should check out the JHP
nav/com
at  http://www.acespilotshop.com/pilot-supplies/handheld/jhp-520.htm
or other suppliers.  With a good aircraft antenna I have picked up
radio transmissions from as distant as 180 miles and on a recent trip
I communicated with our local tower from 85 miles out.  A.S. sells an
adaptor to easily plug in to aircraft power.  Great price for a good
radio.  Use an adaptor to plug headset into radio or I plugged a two
place intercom into the radio and headsets in to the intercom.  I
didn't have room for a panel mount so mine is mounted below panel
between my
knees.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32133949/IMG_8619.JPG
Good location.

Larry Flesner