Joe Nunley said,

> " . . . and put holes in your belly board. ;)

We've talked about this subject some years back . . . it'll all be in
those great archive resource we have.

In my experience and in looking into the subject, the main plane we think
of as having holes in their dive brakes was the SBD Dauntless.  I think
the Stuka had them too.  My KR came with holes in the belly board so back
when I first got it (ten years ago this July!) I was wondering if I could
get better drag from it if I covered up the holes.  So as an experiment,
I did.  I covered the board with duct tape thus creating a flat surface.
Having the holes covered made a very, very slight improvement in the drag
effectiveness of my belly board.  It also did a better job of creating a
bit of lift, thus reducing stalling speed.  The difference was very
slight.

In researching the reason the Dauntless and other dive bombers had
perforated flaps, I found out they did that for two reasons.  One was
reducing weight but the main reason was that having perforated flaps
instead of solid flaps made the aircraft much more controllable in a high
speed dive.  The solid flaps created so much turbulance over the tail
section that the aircraft was practically uncontrollable in a dive.
Perforating the flaps disturbed the airflow sufficiently that the
buffeting was either eliminated or mitigated enough that the aircraft was
controllable.   So those were the reason the Dauntless, and perhaps the
Stuka, and whatever other aircraft of that era, had perforated flaps.
The holes weren't introduced to increase drag.

My duct tape covering my drag flap holes didn't hold up very well so when
it got so ragged that the holes were no longer covered I removed the
remaining duct tape and have flown the belly board with the holes ever
since.  It "seemed" my belly board gave me more drag and more lift when
it was covered.  Very subjective.  With a hole saw I could have cut
circles of correct thickness to fill the holes, but the difference
between holes or no holes was so slight I just left it alone.

For drag flap effectiveness the best thing to do is make it large and
make it so it goes down at as much of an angle as ground clearance will
allow.  After flying Jim Morehead's KR with such a bellyboard I was
extremely impressed at how much easier it was to slow down and to land at
a higher angle of attack (his is a tri-gear which helps tremendously with
that aspect of things.  KR taildraggers hit the tail first when trying to
touch down at full stall.)  Jim's bellyboard had no holes.  Just a big
flat surface that came down at about a 70? and boy did it work great.

Langford has mentioned that his belly board slightly reduces his stall
speed when deployed.  Bellyboards, being a type of flap, add a bit of
lift.  I've found this observation of Mark's to be true with my plane -
moreso when my holes were covered.  In my case, my flap only comes down
about 30? so whatever additional drag and lift I get is pretty
insignificant - but I always use it anyway since every little bit helps
when trying to get these slick little things slowed down.   Mine doesn't
do all that much, holes or no holes, since my KR-1? is narrower than
normal KR-2 bellyboards and it also doesn't come down at a steep enough
angle (due to ground clearance) to really dig into the slipstream.  They
can be a great help though when done well, as in Morehead's plane.

Mike
KSEE

Wall Street Daily
Peter Schiff: China Just Armed its Financial Missile
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/570553a489b3e53a40e41st02vuc