Hi Chris,

Info on the VW as an aircraft engine has been a minor obsession of mine for the
last few months as I try to help my son with his KR project.  I really like the
idea (price/weight/simplicity/aftermarket) of the VW, and there has been a long
collected history of de-bugging the aero-conversion aspects of the engine.
However, there is are also down-sides: minor to major rebuild every ~300hrs,
heat and stress related reliability issues (ending in previously mentioned
rebuild), and while the theory is inexpensive mass aftermarket high quality
parts, it seem the reality is that aircraft worthy aftermarket parts are pricey
(big surprise), and if you have to rebuild every 300 hrs any price advantage is
eaten away.

As with everything, experiences vary.

Talking with the folks at Revmaster or GP is probably the best source of real
information.  You can also go through the KRnet archives.  There are a couple
of valuable internet groups/information sources:

Yahoo Group: VW_Conversions  - active and great archive of info/opinion
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/VW_Conversions/conversations/messages

Bob Hoover - VW engine guru
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com

TheSamba ? huge vw interest group
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/

We are getting close to Airventure - certainly the single best place to learn
what you need to know.  There are hands on classes on rebuilding VW?s. You can
talk to the venders, and to pilots flying behind these little engines.

My take is that Revmaster is most revised/engineered conversion - i like it.
I like their crank/prop hub/and bearing changes.   GP has a great rep too and I
think the Force-one prop hub / 4th bearing is close to the same deal as the
Revmaster.  GP appeals a little more the do-it-yourselfer.

Besides the crank/prophub/4th bearing issue, nikasil aluminum cylinders appeal
to me.  great weight savings and better heat transfer.

The Revmaster heads sound great to me - but so do the MOFO 50?s:
http://www.mofoco.com/item/MOFOCO_050_BIG_VALVE_AIR_COOLED_VW_CYLINDER_HEAD/234/c52

Ignition is still mystery to me.   The centrifugal distributor timed electron
ignition systems (comp-u-fire, etc) are well thought of, very reliable, and
entirely dependent on your battery.   If you go with straight electronic
ignition, its important to have a backup battery system.

I hate the centrifugal distributor sticking up and would like to change to
fully  programable ei - but I?ve yet to figure out how.

I have automotive spark plugs on the bottom side of the 0320 in my Osprey.
They are fired off a PMAG electronic ignition.  They fowl less than the
aircraft plugs fired off the magneto.  I like them.

Probably the best time/money you could spend on upgrading/tweaking the VW
(maybe any engine) is the unsexy issue of keeping it cool.   Specifically, pay
huge attention to baffling (over, around and _under_), airflow, etc.  Get a
real engine monitor so you have some idea what?s actually happening to each
cylinders CHT and EGT.  After that, you might consider ceramic thermal barrier
coatings: top of piston, top of combustion chamber, valve faces.

Also pay a lot of attention to making sure the engine and prop are balanced in
order to minimize stresses (crank, bearings, case, etc).

While its tempting (at least to me) to focus on cool expensive mods to the
engines (like heads, nikasil cylinders, cranks, tunable ei and fi, etc), I
think real world experience will be best improved by focusing on the little
things like baffling, balance, carburetion, oil flow and cooling, prop and
engine bolt torque, etc., and proper/thoughtful operation.

Finally, your note on not wanting to move the engine forward goes against most
of what I read of the KR?s tending to need their CG?s moved forward.

Cheers,
Owen Hughes