Roger Bulla wrote:

> Has anyone tried these heads from CB Performance? They look like they have
> better air flow around the exhaust ports and maybe better quality control?<

Looks like maybe they have swapped to the "Chinese castings", which are
improved over the CB 044 heads that came on N891JF.  These are
essentially what I bought from DRD Racing.  I've done a lot of photos of
these and several other choices over the last few weeks, having replaced
my heads a week or so ago.  See http://www.n56ml.com/n891jf/vw/ for more
on this.  It's a comparison of several different heads and their air
passages.  I was happy with the quality of the DRD heads, which looked
very similar to the ones in your link.  I've put two hours on them so
far, and the thing still runs hot, so I'm on a baffling witch hunt now.
I need some "conformal" fiberglass plenums on that thing like I have on
the Corvair.

I'm still looking for ideas on "what works" in various VW aircraft
installations, because what I have isn't working.  I took off in 95
degree temp yesterday, and after idling to the runway and a quick runup,
it was at 400F as I turned crosswind, and I wasn't even at pattern
altitude yet!  Baffling is pretty tight on this thing, but what I don't
know is what's going on in flight between the top of the cowling and the
fiberglass/silicone seal.  That's my main mission for the next three
days until I take off for OSH.  One more thing I'm going to do is wrap
those hot exhaust pipes (just inside the inlet) with insulating wrap.
No sense in preheating my inlet air...

Mark Langford, Harvest, AL
ML "at" N56ML.com
www.N56ML.com