Roger said,

"I have rebuilt the old 044 heads with new valve guides and new 214NSS
stainless valves from CBP and recut the valve seats with a Neway cutter"

The worn guides, wear and tear on the valves and retainers on the
original heads sure says a lot about how important it is to go through
anything "store bought" and taking care to make sure everything is
correctly done.

I remember reading an article by either Mike Busch or John Deakin about
some batches of factory engines (Lyc or Continental, don't remember) that
got slapped together badly (inaccurately drilled guides I think) and of
course didn't make it anywhere near TBO.  Problems with new engines
invariably get blamed on the operator when in actual fact the factory did
a sloppy job of putting them together.  It's luck of the draw when
getting something somebody else put together, no matter what name is on
it or how much it cost.

************

I happened to run across an article in a VERY old KR newsletter about
some slag breaking off badly finished intake manifolds and finding its
way into the cylinders on Revmasters.  A piece of it punched a hole in a
piston and after word got around guys with Revmasters took their intakes
apart to check for "leftovers" in the fabrication process and several
guys finding it - just hadn't broken off yet.  I'm sure Revmaster has
improved their quality control since then.

Mike
KSEE

Affordable Wireless Plans
Set up is easy. Get online in minutes.