"By the way, you can't turn over a paper sectional in a KR in flight and
not have to recover from an unusual attitude afterwards."

Without at least a wing leveler, that's sure true.  It's even worse with
the KR-1 cockpit.  I used paper back in the 80's with my first KR so
clearly everyone did it.  I recall getting very creative with folds
before leaving the ground.

***********

"He wanted me to do it the old way.  With a sectional, a plotter and a
wiswheel and a phone call to
flight service for a weather briefing.  And god forbid if I opened my GPS
in flight.  After he signed my log book. We talked about it. He said the
most pilots still plan on paper and use paper sectionals in flight.":

I think he's right to have that attitude.  He's wrong about the last bit
but teaching students to get a feel for the Earth instead of "just" for
their screens is a good thing.  He knew you knew how to use a plotter so
he probably did what he did for his own benefit, to help stay focussed
and teach the essentials while surrounded by a blizzard of electronics.
I refer here to some really good writing on the subject:

http://goo.gl/qomcV9

Mike
KSEE
Laser147 at Juno.com

Health News 24
62Year Old Wife Surprises Husband. Cries After Sees Makeover
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/57b3afbf4ccd2fbc726fst02vuc