Someone recently described their cross country flight planning technique
as basically looking to see if there's anything in the way between
departure airport and destination, and then hopping in the plane and
going.   That's my technique as well.  I've never understood what all the
fuss with "flight planning" is about.  Our task is to go from A to B.
What could be simpler?   Skyvector is free and is as good as it gets for
"glimpse and go" flight planning.  I wanted to add to this
conversation/topic the fact that having oxygen for full-time use when
travelling gives us another dimension to work with in avoiding
obstructions between departure and destination, thus making "glimpse and
go" flight planning even simpler than it already is.  Flying high lets us
sail right over the top of terminal airspace, no matter how complicated
or busy.  Same with Restricted airspace, depending on its ceiling.  Same
with mountains and everything else on the ground, including turbulence on
bumpy days.  Having a big tank of O2 with a pulse-demand regulator and
Oxymizer cannula opens up the door to all the advantages that come with
altitude.  TCA directly ahead?  I just ignore them, although I'll monitor
approach and be ready to talk to someone in case the engine decides to
crap out halfway across.  Normally though I'd much rather listen to the
engine than to radio yakking.

I originally put together an oxygen system (eBay for everything -
approximately $100 total) to try and prevent the headaches that I used to
get when going from near sea level to 12.5 or 13.5, especially if I
hadn't flown for awhile.  Oxygen did indeed fix that problem.

Having a big tank with a demand regulator means I can go completely
across the U.S. and back to San Diego and still have oxygen left in the
bottle.  The big tank (E size, 24 cu. ft.) minimizes the hassle of
getting it re-filled.  I've never had to find an oxygen source when on
the road.  I always make it back home and to my familiar (and cheap) dive
shop for refills.  The primary factor regarding long duration is the
demand regulator though.  With the old constant flow regulators
traditionally used in aviation, O2 would disappear quiickly no matter how
big the tanks were.

My "E" tank lies along the right side of the fuselage, braced by the
bottom and fuselage side and at the bottom of the tank, a styrofoam
pocket anchored to the bottom of the plane.  The tank portrudes forward
through a cut-out on my seatback and it's the seatback that braces the
tank to keep it from coming forward.  My baggage compartment insert sits
on top of the tank, providing even more bracing to prevent the tank from
moving.  Mounted this way it isn't in the way at all.  I've lost no
baggage space.  The regulator sits immediately beside my right hip thus
allowing access.   It's all very simple and extremely valuable to have.

*************

So . . . re cross country planning, using oxygen and going high
simplifies things even more and makes flying safer in several ways.
There's less traffic at oxygen altitudes than below them, plus glide
range is much enhanced in case of a mechanical issue.  It helps
significantly with fatigue and also improves vision, especially at night.
 I could go on and on . . . I love my bottle!

Mike
KSEE
Laser147 at Juno.com

MaxWay2Profit
The Royal Bank of Canada Wants This Video Removed for Good
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/57b6184b9d53184b7f5cst02vuc