I've been thinking about this idea of not having a mechanical fuel pump on
a VW aircraft engine. There are several planes that dispense with it in
favor of the electric pump because the pump in the stock position can cause
a bump on the cowling.  This seems dubious from a reliability standpoint,
which is why so many people have multiple electric fuel pumps, backup power
supplies, etc.

But an idea occurred to me.  I had to replace a fuel pump 30 years or so
ago on my VW Beetle, and the pump is operated by a bump on the camshaft. As
the camshaft rotates, a pushrod  is moved up and down by that bump and the
top of that rod operates the pump.

This means there's no need for the stock pump to be located ON TOP of the
engine.  It could be anywhere around the case that would let the pushrod
reach the camshaft.  The pump mounts on a moveable plastic block (and there
may be a bore inside the case to guide the pushrod -- I don't remember --
but it would be fairly easy to cut this out of a junk case).

In this way, you could mount a stock VW pump to one side, allowing a normal
cowling and reliable fuel pumping with just one backup electric pump. When
I had to replace my fuel pump, my car had gone more than 100,000 miles.

Mike Taglieri