Steven Phillabaum wrote:

> Mark,  Why do you think you would use the grove over the
> Diehl gear? I'm thinking of going to tri Diehl.  But I
> could use the extra $500.00 for other items.

Either Grove or Diehl gear can be made trigear or taildragger, but you'd
need the Diehl nose gear in either case, since Grove doesn't make one that I
know of.  You just mount the Grove (or Diehl) main gear either in front of
or behind the main spar to get the version you want.

The attraction of the Grove gear is that you can install it without tearing
into the wing, just bolt some brackets to the spar and bolt on the gear with
about 4 bolts (through the floor, to the spar).  If you bend it or break it,
just bolt on another set, and you're done in no time.  And alignment should
be very close to start with.  Not so with the Diehl gear, which depends on
arbitrary "hail Mary" measurements made on the bench before they are even
assembled to the plane. And the Grove gear can be bought gun-drilled for
integral brake lines.  And the biggie to me is that the Grove gear is
taller, so slow, full-stall landings become an option.

Dan Diehl is a great guy, and I feel bad about steering people away from his
main gear.  He's the guy that saved us from the stock retracts 30 years ago,
and we owe him a lot for that.  And I've been told that his Scotchply gear
legs are an excellent material for landing gear legs.

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL
N56ML "at"  hiwaay.net
see KR2S project at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford