Corvair question
>....which engine models, year models, versions, or serial numbers are most
>desirable.  Which heads, or other features does one look for?  What is OK
and what
>should I avoid?  For example, I've seen advertised 140 HP and 180 HP
engines.
>Orma AKA AviationMech

Orma,

The info is available on the net.  Go to Mark Langford's site or the
KRnet site.  Also, a copy of William Winn's book would be a
must buy if you go that route.

Basiclly, look for a 1965 - 1969 110hp model.  The info is out there
to help you determine what you are looking at.  Stay away from
the 140 -180 hp models as they have head problems, valve guides
too close or something, I think.  The early models were 140 ci and
the later ones (the ones you're looking for) are 164ci.

I had a Corvair on an airboat 30+ years ago and it was one smooth
running little engine.  I paid $100 for it at a local salvage yard.  It
turned out to have a stuck valve.  I had little if any engine experience
but all I needed to modify it was a hacksaw, a few wrenchs, and a
few sockets.  I pulled the head, had the valve redone ( for $1),
reinstalled the head with new pushrod and tube, (no torque wrench)
rebuilt the two single barrel carbs, and it ran like a champ!  The
setup used a Ford flywheel and a VW starter.  My setup had
an ignition switch and a throttle, that's it, no guages so I have
no idea what oil pressure or temp were (or if I even had oil pressure).
It started on one or two blades every time and never once failed me
or left me stranded.  The engine was still running fine several years
later when I sold it to be reinstalled in an auto.

One thing I've noticed from the three engines I have in my hangar is
that they had an appetite for shop rags.  It seems like each engine
had one or two under the fan and covering a cylinder.  If they were
still running in the condition I bought them I'm not sure how you
would kill one in an airplane when properly maintained.

Your results may vary !!

Larry Flesner