Re:  > I dont feel that plywood is a good choice.

Hi everyone... from Mattoon, IL.   I am a newbee to the KRNet as of a couple of
days ago.  This will be my first post.

I would really be afraid to use sandwiched foam for plywood.  If you think
about it, when you hang 150+ lbs on the firewall, the fuselage sides between
the engine and the landing gear take a lot of stress.  The top longerons are
being stretched (tension), and the bottom ones are trying to buckle
(compression).  The plywood is crucial in sharing this load.   It serves as a
shear web for the trussed fuselage and insures that the sides maintain their
shape in load.   The outer skin of a sandwich would do very little in sharing
that shear load because it is only attached to the fuselage by the core foam.
Sandwiched structure is great for other types of loads, but I think that the
outer skin of the sandwich in that application would only keep the wind out
like Mark said.

I agree with Mark in that you cannot beat plywood.  I’ve been filling and
sanding my wings for a few weeks now and will finally just give up and take
defeat from some of the inperfections.

That all said, I think it IS neat to brainstorm ideas and the ‘what ifs’.  I’m
not hanging my life on a plywood structure substitute, but IF I were on a
desert island  that had plenty of spruce, foam, glass and epoxy… but no
plywood, I think I would sandwich the spruce members between fiberglass layers
on the fuselage.  In other words, I would put foam between the spruce members…
sand it to the thickness of the side frames, and then glass both sides (inside
and out & biased to the longerons) with a couple of layers of glass, being sure
to bond the glass to the spruce everywhere.   I think that would make a much
better structure than gluing sandwiched foam to the outside of the fuselage.
You would need to glass AFTER the fuselage is assembled because I doubt that
you could bend the sides after the glass was applied to both sides of the side
frames.  Even if you could, the inside skin would go into compression and do
less good.  You would also have lots of fun trying to sand the foam on the
inside surfaces… and would need to sand perpendicular to the longerons on the
outside to maintain the fuselage curvature.  After the boat stage were
finished, I think I would probably get homesick and try using the structure to
float home rather than spending 20 more years on the island building something
airworthy!  (I’ve been building mine since ‘81).

Good luck in whatever you decide, but just remember that neat ideas may get you
into some real trouble some day if you aren’t careful!  I’m sure I will get a
flashback of every deviation from plans that I have made when I get that dude
up to 500 feet for the first time!

Take care,

Kerwyn Stoll
Mattoon, IL