Justin,

I think the most difficult job you are going to have, is getting all that
varnish off.  Our boat was finished, and varnished.  When I went to install
the other things that go on top of the boat, I sanded off all the varnish.
I then installed my first item.  The next day, all I had was a gooey mess.
T-88 would not stick, VinylEster would not stick, and Poly Fiber resin would
not stick.  Someone suggested that I sand and then wash with acetone or
lacquer thinner.  That worked, but it was a very time consuming and
laborious job.  As you sand the varnish off, it gets into the pours of the
wood.  If you could get it stripped with a varnish stripper that would not
affect the glue, that might be the best way to start.

Since you are good at running tests, I suggest that you come up with a
method and apply it to a stick and some plywood.  Be sure that you get a
complete bond.

N64KR

Daniel R. Heath - Columbia, SC

da...@kr-builder.org