RE: I was reluctant to carve up those wing skins

Tim,

With hinge in hand, ready to install, and the wing upside down, and the
hinge attach screw holes prepared in the hinge, hot glue the hinge to the
wing false aileron spar, exactly where you want it to end up.  Test for
movement of the hinge with no binding, to be sure it is straight.

Now, drill holes the holes for the screws to go through the false spar, as
exact to the size of the screw as possible.  We used 8-32 recess stainless
100 degree screws.  Now, all you have to do is cut a fairly large hole, big
enough for you to work through, on the bottom of the wing adjacent to each
screw hole.

Now you can remove the hinge and clean off the hot glue.

If you attach with rivets,  I have a method for that, otherwise, proceed
with the flox attachment process that you have been doing.  For that process
 I would use a disposable pan head,  8-32, a little longer that the
permanent screws, to hold it in place while it cures.  Remember that you
want to hold it in with something that you can get a good grip on, for easy
removal.  I would stick with the flox method as it will be difficult to get
down in there with your vice grips to squeeze rivets and you don't need to
be neat, just get a little on the spar surface, screw it down, and glob on
the flox.

Do the same for the aileron.  When done, you can use some of that nasty
spray foam to fill the holes, let it cure out as much as possible, in as hot
a place as possible for as long as possible.  Sand it all down and put a
nice neat layer, only 1 is necessary, of glass, over the whole length of the
wing/aileron for the width of the widest hole cut.  Cut the cloth on the
bias and wrap it over the false spar.  If you put a layer of deck (finish)
cloth and peel ply on that, you probably won't even be able to tell that you
ever opened it up.

PS:  What are you using for your blind nuts?  (nut plates)

N64KR

Daniel R. Heath - Columbia, SC

da...@kr-builder.org

See you in Red Oak - 2003