> I am interested in why you shouldn't be squarking 1200 "especially when
you
> aren't talking to center."  Bear in mind I am in Australia.  Here in Oz
>
> At 06:46 PM 9/09/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >I happen to be a crew dog on AWACS, and found myself dealing with Air
Force
> >-Not talking to center
> >-Not squawking anything
> >-Squawking 1200  (especially when you aren't talking to center)

Basically, by squawking 1200, you are telling the world you are doing your
own thing.  When it is my job to protect a specific airspace, I want to know
what everyone is doing in that area.  If you are flying VFR, and squawking
1200, you are doing everything right...BUT, you are piquing my interest, so,
depending on a lot of other factors (maybe you are in the wrong place at the
wrong time), I may send someone in to check you out.  I mean, squawking 1200
and not talking to center is one step away from not squawking and not
talking to center--and I would assume guys in "my" airspace doing that are
up to something sneaky.

Any normal day, flying VFR is all well and good, but not if Air Force One is
overflying you.  That's all I was getting at.

Hope I cleared that up for you.

Mark Youkey
myou...@cox.net
Oklahoma City