A few notes from the Gathering.

Early Thursday found the attendees standing around picking their noses,
adjusting their shorts, and talking weather, until Mike Garbez taxied his
plane from his hanger into the viewing area.  All eyes fell on his plane for
the rest of the day.  Steve Bennett and Marty Roberts, just a few miles
away, and Jim Faughn , about a 100 miles, were waiting for a break in the
weather which never came until Friday morning when they flew in.  We
oldsters were surprised to see Steve Alderman fly in in his speedster. ?
yup, it?s still yellow.  Terry Chisek also made it in from Kansas.  So, as
of Saturday at about 1:30 P.M., when I had to start driving back home, only
5 KRs were in attendance.

Larry Flesner and Mark Langford motored in in Larry?s great little TriPacer
which has become the camera ship for a number of  past events.  Video Bob,
Larry, and Mark took to the sky Sat. morning and took some air to air shots
of the KRs.

Having a couple of the speediest KRs at an event such as this, naturally
leads to a ?see who?s fastest? scenario.  Listening to the radio, I?m sure I
heard Marty say something like ?You got me? to Steve A.

Marty and Jim tried their best to provide a little excitement.  On one of
Marty?s high speed fly-bys and a subsequent approx. 9G pullup, his
fiberglass baggage container came loose from its mooring behind the seat and
audibly banged down on top of his elevator controls, leaving Marty with only
partial up travel.  That had to increase his pulse a bit.  Everybody held
their breath as Marty made a long flat approach with Steve A. flying chase
to an uneventful landing.  On landing Steve Bennett effectively grounded
Marty for the rest of the day by handing him a ?cool one?.  Not to be
outdone, Jim, during a flyby, had his right aileron balance weight fall off.
Again, all eyes were on him as he made a nice uneventful landing.  So,  the
repairs that followed became some ?entertainment? for the rest of the day
and early Sat. morning.  With the help of Mike Garbez?s well equipped shop,
a new aileron bracket and weight were made for Jim; and some T-88 was
supplied to re-glue in a wood support for Marty?s rear shelf.  Both were
back flying late Sat. morning.   During all this time, Terry took up the
slack by giving a number of rides until Jim and Marty were back in the air.

As far as displays, Mark Langford had some cowl pieces to show off, somebody
displayed an aluminum wing tank, and John Backer showed a nifty wheel pant
and mold of his design.

Those were just some of the highlights.  I?m sure others will give their
accounts, plus pictures at some point in the next few days.  Stay tuned.

Ed Janssen

Ed Janssen
mailto:ejans...@chipsnet.com