Gavin, here are my 2 cents worth.

The VW engines are called Type 1,2,3, and 4. The Type 4 comes from the VW
Minibus, and the Porshe 914. It comes as either a 1.7 liter, or as a 2
liter. It is the best, for two good reasons: it is the most powerful, and it
is made of a better aluminium alloy, that is less prone to cracks. So, I
strongly recommend a Type 4 in all... cases.

The bad news is the 2 liter will give you only 65 hp. It is more than enough
to fly a KR2. Mine was built with a stock 2 liter Type 4, and it flew well,
even at gross weight and at 12 000 ft density altitude.

So, you don't NEED more power, but if you WANT more power, you will have to
work from a VW engine, preferably a Type 4. You will have to buy a serious
kit to increase the power, or to buy the entire powerplant from a good
supplier (there is one n Autralia). One can push the 2 liter to 2.4, even
2.7; the power will come to about 100 hp in the best case, but you will pay
for it in lack of reliability.

Your costs will be:
- The engine case,
- The "aero" conversion (propeller drive, carb, cooler, ignition...)
- And, and, and...

And for all that, you will have an automotivew conversion (a home-made
engine, not a certified and proven one) of anything between 80 and 100 hp.

In any case, unless you have good connections in the engine rebuild world,
it is unrealistic to hope for less than US$ 6000 for a 80 to 100hp
powerplant.

So, if you are short of cash, yet don't want to take chances with a
homebuilt engine, I recommend you but either a Jabiru 4 cylinder, or the
best ready-made VW conversion you can't get in Autralia?

Personally, swapped my old stock Type 4 for a South-African made 2.4 liter
Type 4, delivering about 80hp, on which I rigged a dual electronic ignition
from motorcycle parts.

Serge Vidal
KR2 ZS-WEC
Tunis, Tunisia