From: Colin <crain...@cfl.rr.com>
To: KR builders and pilots <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 1:18 PM
Subject: KR>Ground loops

Wayne,
Keep in mind that P-factor is not the only response the aircraft will have.
It sounds to me that what you are experiencing is what used to happen to
alot of the WWII pilots when they went from low power J3 cub trainers, to
Mustangs, and Corsairs. They did fine when starting their takeoff roll, with
full power applied, until they raised the tail. Then the spinning blade
became gyroscope and precession kicked in causing them to uncontrollably
ground loop.  These aircraft actually had to begin their takeoff roll with
half power applied, and as they acquired rudder authority, then apply full
power.  Tri-cycle gear aircraft do not experience this due to the fact that
they are already somewhat level when full power is applied, and the CG is
between the nose wheel and the mains, allowing much better directional
control until the rudder becomes effective.  Since the aircraft mass is very
light, Newton's Law says that very little force is required to deflect the
aircraft into a new direction.  Although the design may have effective
rudder control in flight, during takeoff roll the engine torque, P-factor,
and precession will challenge you to master it.  The gyro of the blade
reacts 90 degrees in the direction of rotation, from the force applied. This
would be the same reactionary problem of directional control that one of the
other KR drivers was having while performing high speed taxi tests. Due to
the precession response of the aircraft, and the fact that the CG is behind
the mains, but close to them, directional control can be touchy. I suggest
some part throttle takeoff rolls, that are followed by a smooth application
of power as rudder authority is gained. It might not be a short field, STOL
takeoff, but it will be in control with room to spare.  I fully intend to
transition into my KR2 this way.  I have flown some high performance
tricycle gear aircraft that will almost ground loop, due to just P-factor
and torque.
Good luck!
Colin & Bev Rainey KR2(td)
crain...@cfl.rr.com