Netters;

Someone asked the question about the possibility or benefit of fairing the
tailwheel.  I haven't seen any takers on that, so I thought I'd throw out
something I just read in the Fall '03 issue of "To Fly" last night, about a
Thorp T-18 that a gent built and documented the performance changes due to
fairings, cowlings,  and etc. since the Thorp was originally conceived and
designed as an open-cockpit airplane with the engine cylinders hanging out
in the breeze and unfaired Wittman-style spring gear.

The Thorp is similar to the KR in a few ways, but that's not the point.
What is of interest is the magnitude of the gain for each modification or
improvement.  Among other things, the builder said that each of the
following gained 2 to 4 MPH in top speed: adding wheel pants, fairing the
pant/landing gear leg junction, and fairing the tailwheel spring.  He did
not mention a "pant" for the tailwheel itself.  He also said that
down-pointing exhaust stacks cost him 3 MPH (ergo, Mark Langford's approach
of turning them into the slipstream.  Also a potential for some thrust
gain).  He figured that with the fairings and streamlining he did on his
airplane, every 10 MPH gain in top speed due to drag reduction equated to 25
fewer HP required (for the Thorp)... with the associated weight, complexity,
cost, fuel consumption, and the rest of it.  And of course the rate of climb
has the same gains and losses as top speed.

In passing, and since it's Friday (in Texas, anyway), here's something I
didn't know... also from "To Fly".  Art Chester, the racer who built the
"Goon", "Jeep", and "Swee' Pea" back in the pre-WWII days, worked for North
American and was on the P-51 design team.  He is responsible for the design
and construction of the innovative box-beam bed mount for the Allison engine
in the P-51.  Also interestingly, the British specs for the airplane (we
made some for them) were for a pilot size of 5'-10" and 145 lbs., which were
Art's exact measurements.  So he was the "test dummy" for fitting the
cockpit of the prototype to the British specs and everything was made to fit
him.

The longer I live, the more I learn!

Oscar Zuniga
San Antonio, TX
mailto: taildr...@hotmail.com
website at http://www.flysquirrel.net

Cheer a special someone with a fun Halloween eCard from American Greetings!
Go to  http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/index_msn.pd?source=msne134