So then I believe the new spar was found to be about  18% stronger than the
old one, so add 18% to the gross load?   1239# rated load?  1200 with safety
margin?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Kraut" <eng...@earthlink.net>
To: <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: KR>questions - wafs / rims

> The net result of using a thicker wing and having the WAFs further apart
is that there is less stress on them.  If the center point of the lift on
your wing was 10' from the WAFs and you were holding up 500 pounds of plane
on that one wing the torque would be 500 foot pounds.  If your WAFs were 6"
apart from each other you would have 1000 pounds of tension on the bottom
WAF and 1000 pounds of compression on the top one.  If you could increase
the distance between them to 1' you would only have 500 pounds acting on
each one.

> Steve and Lori McGee wrote:
>
> On the new wing design with the stronger spars, because the wafs will be
farther apart, does this this also create a higher rating in the wafs?

> I am pretty sure now I will be pushing the limit plus of the KR2S with
this foam fused flyer, partially because lets see, the HS is larger, fuse
both fore (4 inches) and aft (2 inches), and the wings are all larger than
the kr2s plans.  Having read in the archives that it is the wafs that were
the weakest link, ( especially now with the larger spar).  I would not worry
about the extra weight if I could get the wafs that much stronger.  I
thought about increasing their thickness,  but have been wondering what the
added spacing does.

> I guess I am also going to have to bite the bullet on those dang wheels
with a heavier plane.  Any of you heavy S guys using those Asuza rims?