Scott:
Not trying to be argumentative but it also must be pointed out that most
certified aircraft engines are also not approved for aerobatics they do
not have the fuel or oil systems for it.  It also must be pointed out
that most aircraft type certificated or experimental are also not
approved for aerobatic use.  So aerobatics alone need not be a
disqualifying point for any engine.
Also, any engine or almost any engine can be equipped with redundant
ignition systems.  So, if I don't need aerobatics and have dual
independent ignition I am probably as safe in my corvair as you are in
your lycosaur.  In fact I think there are some lycoming engines that
have a crankshaft failure rate that is higher than the corvairs.
I do agree that the "sudden failure" behavior of some electronics seems
to make them undesireable, but we are now using fadec (full authority
digital control) systems  on many aircraft it is time the experimental /
homebuilt aircraft community begin to emulate these for pennies on the
dollar and design redundance in them just like have done on countless
automotive engine conversions of the past.
Maybe if the legal environment in the USA were more conducive to
innovation  the aircraft engine manufacturers would not be offering
scarcely improved 1947 technology at outrageous prices forcing us to
look elsewhere.
my .02
Carlos