From: "RICHARD G ALPS" <richarda...@msn.com>
To: "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: KR>Passion, I think we all can relate to this.

> Dear Norm,
> I know that your question was not aimed at me, but since it was presented
to the whole KR Net, I choose to take this opportunity to publicly supply my
answer:

> Everything, Norm, everything!
>
> I consider myself relatively poor, and cannot afford hanger rent, much
less an airplane whatsoever.  Just the same, at my ripe young age of 64
years, I guarantee you and the rest of the netters that I will build and fly
my very own KR-2S.  With no space, no money, and while I am working 14 hours
a day, no time to do this thing, it seems absolutely impossible.  Therefore,
my very dear Norm, the little paragraph about passion, and being able to
stop our busy lives and actually look at what is inside of us to see what
moves and motivates us; to examine what things wear us down and crush us, is
important to me.  Why do I own a set of KR plans that are 25 years old, and
why have I allowed family needs to supercede my personal wants?  Why do I
still yearn for this tiny, frail, wingy thing?  Why does the KR kindle this
glow inside of me?

> I don't know guys.  Maybe the work involved in building (even just buying
the pieces) is a no sweat thing for most of you.  Perhaps for most of you,
the prospect of spending $20,000 or much more, is of no consequence.  For me
it an insurmountable task.  I am bound to start at the bottom and spend $50
at a time til it is done.  Hell, if you have the money, just buy a Mooney
and be done with it.  At least that way you can carry four people, and not
worry about time or any of the rest.  Sometimes I think that I have no
business sharing the same room with you other people because I have no
money.  I at least have a Private License.  I am a SEL guy (single engine
land) and I have about 450 hours logged.  I am Cessna trained, with 152,
172, 182, 206/207 time, and a couple of hours in the Centurian (210).  I
went to school with a lawyer who owns a 210, but mostly I could NEVER afford
to rent one.  I like flying the Cessna Cardinal (177) and I actually flew
the Skymaster (forgot the number) with the Illinois Air National Guard.

> At the present moment I have not flown for over 10 years, and I have the
honor of having had a heart attack last year.  Now, not only do I get to
build the plane, but I have to fight the FAA to get my medical back.  Now, I
ask you (all):  "Do I stand a chance for success here?"

> You probably think I am crazy to start this journey, but if I do not, then
what is the reason for living?  I'll drop back to the original question
which was:  "What does this have to do with KR's?"