compression ratio

Thanks for the input Mark

I have often thought about this, particularly when I hear what you guys
pay for Corvair spares over there.  The Corvair is already a good motor,
so de-rating it by 10% will make it bullet proof.

Your comment is encouraging and I would be delighted if this can work
out - this is however how I see it.

The tendency (ability) to wind-mill at cruising speeds is influenced by
how much resistance the engine presents to being turned over (CR), as
well as the force that is trying to turn it - and that is very much a
function of propeller diameter and blade area.  Smaller props have less
leverage (and inertia).

To achieve fair grunt out of any motor, we need to let it get a
respectable way up the power curve.  In the case of the Corvair I
suspect that this will be well over 3000 rpm, restricting the propeller
diameters to something like 65" on a direct drive.  (not that there is
room for much more).

My instinct has always been that - by the time you drop the CR to the
point that 80mph (approach) will keep a 65" prop turning a 3L engine
(approx)- the CR will be such that maybe 30% of the potential power is
lost.

If the CR reduction required to allow a typical KR prop to wind-mill is
such that the power loss is 10% /12%) - this would change things for me.

Take care
Steve

I visited your engine CC'ing site - excellent piece of work, written in
a way that that makes me want to do one.