Steve Jacobs wrote:

> The tendency (ability) to wind-mill at cruising speeds is influenced by
> how much resistance the engine presents to being turned over (CR), as
> well as the force that is trying to turn it - and that is very much a
> function of propeller diameter and blade area.  Smaller props have less
> leverage (and inertia).

Good point, and I'm sure you're exactly right that prop diameter also has a
lot to do with it.  I guess I was assuming all things remained the same.
You can make a VW or Corvair turn a prop slowly too.  William Wynne's
Pietpol ran a Corvair at about 3000 rpm WOT and he claims an output of about
90 hp, and turned a 68" Warp Drive prop on it.  See
http://www.flycorvair.com/corvair.html#Engine%20Specs for more details.

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL
N56ML at hiwaay.net
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford