From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net]On
Behalf Of Martindale Family
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 11:46
To: KRnet
Subject: Re: KR>fuel vent

Serge

Do you have a problem with  fuel expanding out through the holes when it
gets hot or does it run out if two wing tanks are interconnected and parked
on a slope. I have just modified my EH Holden fuel caps on my wing tanks to
a similiar arrangement to give an inch or so more "head" over my internal
vents (now blocked off) that drained to below the wing. The latter were
continually overflowing in the above circumstances but the extra 'head" has
reduced this markedly. I could reduce it still more by brazing in a small
tube still higher on top of the caps but it starts to look a bit like a coat
hangar.

I like the RV solution where the vent tubes run up the inside of the
firewall (say for 18") then U-turn down again to drain via an opening below
the fuselage facing the wind. You can just about stand the RV on its wing
tip before the vents leak (well maybe I exaggerate a little but...). Have to
watch out for exhaust gases/sparks near the vents I imagine but I'm sure
Dana could discuss this further for us.

I mention this option because you need to design it in early in tank
construction. To retrofit is a big and difficult job for my tanks due lack
of easy access thus my cheap interim solution above.

John

The Martindale Family
29 Jane Circuit
TOORMINA NSW 2452