From: "Colin & Bev Rainey" <crain...@cfl.rr.com>
To: "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 8:11 PM
Subject: KR> Trigear

> I have to agree with Larry and say that any trigear setup can be
collapsed.  One must remember to protect the nose gear by continuing the
back pressure increase throughout the flare until the nose settles on its
own, or damage can occur.  The Grumman Tiger, Cheetah, Traveler, and Lynx
all have the same type nose wheel, and it fairs them well, but is the weak
link.  This is where I have preached that one NEEDS to learn how to fly into
ground effect first, and then establish a landing attitude followed by a
gradual flare as the airspeed bleeds off. All too often pilots get in a
hurry to get into the flare attitude on the descent, and they are very near
the stall when they enter ground effect.  They try to continue flaring only
to find too little airspeed, and too little elevator left to flare, so the
nose drops as they drop crashing to the runway, smashing into a 3 point
which overloads the nose gear.  Descend down final, round out into ground
effect and pause as you fly in ground effe